to New Site
The house, shed and barn are all contributing resources to Franklin's history.
The Kreger Farmhouse is located on property originally purchased by Daniel Wood from the Federal Government in 1826. Lucius and Hamilton Miller owned the property from 1848 to the mid 1860's. The Kreger Farmhouse is thought to have been built between 1850 and 1870 by the Millers.
The Kreger Farmhouse, circa 1860, was a working farm and is currently located at 26565 Scenic Drive. Its architecture is an excellent example of the early Greek revival farmhouses that were popular in the United States from 1820-1860. The Village's distinctive character is rooted in early nineteenth century history and this building is one of the few and best remaining examples of that era. Franklin is fortunate to have these beautiful structures as part of its architectural heritage.
The property has been in the same family since 1901 when it was purchased by Grace and Charles Johnston. The largest crops on the Johnston farm were potatoes and corn. Mr. Johnston would load up his produce, and going by way of Sand Hill (now known as Redford), traveled to Detroit's Eastern Market to sell the vegetables.
Art and Cora (Johnston) Kreger owned the property from 1918 until their deaths in the 1980's. Their daughter, Maxine, lived in the house her whole life, until her death in 2006.
Contact The Franklin Historical Society:
Ann or Bill Lamott