The Kreger House
An Original Franklin Farm
The Kreger Farmhouse, barn and shed were moved from their location at 26565 Scenic Drive in Franklin Village to the Village Green on December 18, 2008. The Greek revival house and the outbuildings were built in the 1860’s and are an excellent example of rural American architecture. They perfectly reflect the nature of early Franklin. Preserving the Kreger farm buildings is vital to keeping Franklin’s rural character intact.
When the Kreger Farmhouse and property were sold, the new owner of the property, the Bauer family, donated the house, shed and barn to the Franklin Historical Society along with a substantial donation to assist in moving the structures. A group of citizens have banded together to move these historic buildings to the Village Center in the heart of downtown Franklin and renovate them for community use.
Relocation, preservation and adaptive reuse of a community asset representing our rural heritage for the benefit of future generations.
Historic preservation and community activism are valuable and important elements of our Village character. Franklin’s heritage is one of community involvement.
Through historic preservation the citizens of Franklin have molded an environment that speaks to a “sense of place”. The Village Green, the Broughton House, the ski/sledding hill, and the Franklin Community Association grounds are all here because the community donated their time and money to preserve them.